Helping You Discover Therapy
By: Suzanne LaCombe Ed.D., R.Psych.
Hello. Glad you dropped by!
Are you one of those folks who like the idea of going to counseling but you haven't a clue on how to begin? Maybe you don't know how long it takes or what issues can be treated or even how it works.
MyShrink is the answer to that quandary. Use the Quick Start Guide below. It'll tell you where to start based on how much experience you're had with counseling and what you're looking for today. Besides it's kinda fun!
Knock on the door to start the Guide
Quick start guide
Tips on Counseling
Did you know that up to 40% of the results from counseling depend on factors related to the client?
What this means is that there are things you can do to improve the effectiveness of the therapy.
Here's my first tip for counseling:
Ask your therapist what he or she feels you need to do more of to make the most of your time.
It's been my experience that few therapists spend much time educating their clients on how therapy works. This is despite that every therapist uses different techniques and approaches depending on the model their using.
So naturally clients shouldn't be expected to automatically know what they need to do to get the most from it. Therefore, asking the question puts more control into your hands and let's your therapist know that you are serious about your work.
The more you know how therapy works, the better you can make the most of it. Here are some resources to learn more about counseling
- Common questions for those brand new to counseling e.g. how to decide whether counseling is for you.
- These questions address some of the concerns first timers have about going to counseling.
- You can make the most of your counseling efforts by reviewing these short--sometimes humorous--articles.
- Insightful questions about the nature of counseling.
- After you've been to counseling a few times--or more--check out these short articles and test your knowledge about going to counseling.
- Are you a seasoned client? You may find these ideas provoke new thoughts about your therapy.
- If you want to better understand how getting rid of your emotional baggage is good for your health, visit this article.
- Take the Tour so you can better understand the science of therapy. It'll help you make sense of what's happening in your sessions.